Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Shriver House Museum.....

As part of my responsibilities at this beautiful Inn, it is my job to keep up to date on what's going on here and around the area so I can offer our guests the best experience possible. I am proud to say our Inn has partnered with the Journey Through Hallowed Ground Organization to promote awareness of "the unparalleled American heritage in the region running from Gettysburg, PA., through Maryland and Harpers Ferry, W.VA., to Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello in Charlottesville, VA."
I often like to assume the role of a visitor when I can and partake in all the same exciting experiences our guests might take advantage of. Because of the nature of our business, there is little time to do this, but I did manage to go to a fantastic site earlier this week that I felt I just had to share. It is a worthwhile visit for people of all ages.
The Shriver House and Museum is a fantastic place where one can experience the civil war through a civilian's eyes. Docents dress up in period attire and conduct tours through the building which bring to life the fascinating and heartbreaking story of a young father's dreams for himself and his family. His home boasts a tavern in the basement and what was once a bowling alley. There is also a lovely period garden which graces the backyard.
In addition I learned this home is privately owned and was lovingly restored to it's former splendor in 1996. It is totally funded by donations from the tours. It is obvious to everyone who meets the staff that they have a great love for this property and the history behind it.

A visit well worth the trip if you can fit it into your plans.

"In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays" Colonel Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

No comments:

Post a Comment